Camel Lotus Honda 99T, Ayrton Senna, 1987 Detroit Grand Prix
The first model to be featured in the Trophy Room is Sean Grainger’s excellent Lotus 99T.
Thank you for being the first to feature in the Trophy Room with your Lotus 99T. Could you tell us a little bit about yourself please?
What is your full name?
Sean Grainger.
How long have you been modelling?
I have built models since I was about 13.
Your favourite team and driver?
My favourite team is McLaren, and I support Jenson Button.
When did you first watch Formula 1?
I don't remember the first race I watched however I remember Murray Walker and James Hunt commentating so it was probably in the early 1980s.
Great. Could you please tell me a bit about the model?
What is the full name of the car and which driver and race does it represent?
It is a Camel Lotus Honda 99T, driven by Ayrton Senna at the 1987 Detroit Grand Prix.
It is made by Tamiya.
When did you complete the model?
December 2007.
Did you use any detail parts on the model?
Yes. I used Studio 27, Acu-Stion and Thunder Valley F1 parts.
Which paints did you use?
I used Zero Paints ‘Lotus Camel Yellow’.
Did you use any reference material for the build?
I used ‘Grand Prix Fascination Formula 1 by Reinhard Klein’, ‘F1 in Camera 1980-89’, ‘F1 Modeling Issue 5 and Senna Giga Special’.
You can read more about Sean’s Lotus and his other builds at http://www.scalereproductions.co.uk

Hi Jake
ReplyDeleteGreat idea of bringing this topic to the forum!
Congrats are also due to Sean. Great looking 99T.
I really enjoyed the story behind the model, very informative.
Thanks for sharing and kind regards
Gonçalo
Thanks, I'll try to do one each week.
DeleteDrop me an email if you're interested!
Jake